Synergy plans to run several workshops a year either online
or in person. Take a look below to see the workshops and
retreats we have planned for 2023.
James and his team can also deliver in-house training, workshops
and retreats for your teams, business or organisation.
Please contact us for further information.
Circle of Men
A group exclusively for men, providing a safe place to develop emotional fitness.
13th May 2023 – An all-day in person Circle of Men based in Nottingham. Contact Synergy for further information – There. are limited spaces on this day, please book early to avoid disappointment.
Online Circle of Men
15th April 2023 – There are limited spaces on this day, please book early to avoid disappointment.
Anger Management Programme
Is it time to address your anger? Do you shout & have angry outbursts? Do you regularly feel irritable, ‘on edge’, moody & frustrated? Or… are you confrontational, constantly critical, sarcastic & patronising? If this sounds like you & you would like to have greater control on your anger, then our Anger Management one-day intensive programme could help you.
23rd September 2023 – This is an all-day intensive workshop and will be based in Nottingham. There are a limited number of places, please book early to avoid disappointment.
About the programme
This programme will be facilitated by James and will have several components in it including psycho-educational input (knowledge/understanding) listening and empathy to self and others, working in a group and resources for managing your emotions. The theme & benefits of the programme can be found here.
Sessions covered in the Anger Management programme
- Understanding anger
- Emotional intelligence
- Styles of anger
- Expression of anger
- Communication skills
- Assertiveness skills
- Roots of our anger
- Management of emotions
- The benefits of anger expressed healthy
- Anger as a defence system
- How to cope with other people’s anger
Benefits of joining the programme
- Increased control of emotions
- Better understanding of the roots of anger
- Skills to build more satisfying relationships
- Changing unhealthy behaviours
- Development of communication skills
- Reduction in alcohol consumption & smoking
- Feeling happier & more content in self
- Improvement in sleeping patterns
- Overall sense of feeling happier & contentment
- Learn how to be more assertive
- Increased ability to deal with conflict
- Reduction in stress
Working with Men
17th – 19th November 2023
This three-day workshop is for psychotherapists, counsellors, mental health workers, youth workers and other professionals who work with men.
James will facilitate this workshop which will be based on his 20 years of experience working with hundreds of male clients individually and in groups. He will invite you to delve into your understanding of men, explore masculinity, reflect on your practice and develop ways of working with men effectively. You will have the chance to explore men’s relationship with emotions, working with anger, shame and intimacy.
Sessions covered in the Working with Men programme
- Exploring the man rules
- Increase your understanding about the construct of masculinity
- Delve deep into the male psyche
- Learn 7 keys tools for working with men successfully
- An introduction to AWARE – an emotional fitness programme for men
- Explore anger and the 5 styles of anger expression
- Take away effective tools for working effectively with anger and rage
- Understand the effect of Shame on men
- Learn how to help men develop shame resilience
- Help men build emotional muscle and enter the emotional gym
- Unpick men’s relationship to intimacy and what blocks them from developing psychological intimacy
- Tools on how to support men in becoming more intimately literate
- James consistently receives great feedback from his workshops – please see below for a selection of comments from workshops held during the last year.
- “James’s presenting style is so engaging.”
- “I used some of your themes to back up my work with a male client last night. At the end, he said ”I don’t normally do this but..” and reached out and shook my hand. Great work, Thanks James.”
- “Thank you SO much for this workshop gave me lots of ideas on how to work with male clients.”
- “I really enjoyed the programme for emotional fitness, the vocabulary used was familiar to men and identifiable!! Clever!”
- “James’s presentation, engaging, involved and passionate.”
- “James is a great presenter. Passionate, experienced and knowledgeable. I really like his down-to-earth personality and sharing of personal experiences.”
- “James shared a lot of personal experiences to make points about the accepted male code – this really helped to bring the subject to life.”
Retreat for Men
14/15th October 2023 –
‘Digging deep’ – a safe place where men can learn to dig deeper into understanding themselves, develop emotional fitness and become more connected with self.
This retreat will be facilitated by James, author of ‘Secret lives of Men’ and a psychotherapist who has worked with hundreds of men successfully. James has a passion to support men in developing emotional fitness and authentic living.
Limited availability – please book early to avoid disappointment.
This retreat will include
- Deep authentic connecting
- Developing emotional fitness in the emotional gym
- Physical activities to enhance our change
- Challenging encounters to stretch growth
- Intensive moments in nature to elevate flow
- Space to learn to move from reaction to responding
- Learning how to have more control of your emotions